The value of investments and any income from them can fall and you may get back less than you invested.

Capital charging for Wales increased


The capital means-tested limit used by Welsh local authorities to determine eligibility for assistance with residential care fees has been raised to £50,000. This is more than double the limit that applies in England and Northern Ireland and almost double that which applies in Scotland. 

The Deputy Minister for Health and Social Services in Wales has announced an immediately effective £10,000 rise in the capital limit used by local authorities in Wales for assessing eligibility for financial assistance with residential care costs. The increase, which comes two years earlier than originally planned, means that residents in Wales will now be able to have up to £50,000 in savings, investments and/or other non-disregarded assets before they will asked to contribute towards their care costs from their own capital. Those with non-disregarded capital above this threshold, will be required to pay for all of their own care home fees. 

The Welsh system was already more generous than the system in the rest of the UK where a two-tier capital limit system operates so that claimants with capital between the two limits must make a capital contribution towards their own care. In England and Northern Ireland, the lower capital limit is currently set at £14,250 while the higher capital limit is set at £23,250. In Scotland, the lower and upper capital limits were raised to £17,500 and £28,000 respectively from 8 April 2019. 

Please note that this document was prepared by a third party and as such Brewin Dolphin is not responsible for the content or able to answer queries on the topics dealt with. While we believe it to be correct at the time of writing, Brewin Dolphin is not a tax adviser and tax law is subject to frequent change. Therefore you should not rely on this information without seeking professional advice from a qualified tax adviser, who should also be able to assist you with any questions on the content. 

This document was prepared as a general guide only and does not constitute tax or legal advice.